Buckled column after provision of additional reinforcement
Jacketing of column under progress
Structural steel supports were introduced to cantilever slabs
Structure after repair
Make OR Break Factor
The project had a non-negotiable deadline – 25 days, not more!
THE CHALLENGE :
- The chemical process plant was facing problems of chloride and acid-induced corrosion of steel, which was leading to the delamination of concrete and causing a distressing reduction in reinforcement size.
THE ODDS :
- The exact extent of damage was unknown because of prior unsuccessful attempts to repair the structure
- The entire plant structure was supported by temporary MS supports, two of which had already buckled
- Total loss of reinforcement was observed in some of the members at the back
OUR RESPONSE :
- Previous repair data was collected and the structural shortfall was analyzed as per prevailing condition.
- Immediate curative measures were taken for the corrosion
- The damaged concrete sections were jacketed and structural elements were externally reinforced with fibre wrapping
- A protective coating was done on the entire RCC surface